When you're doing something like starting a business you do an incredible amount of research... constantly. I could just archive everything that I find to Delicious, but doing that makes it easy to lose track of the really good stuff that I've come across that's stood out from the rest.
So I'm going to (try to) keep track of the best bits of information that I find which have helped me out.
Here's this week's roundup of my best links for people starting up their own web design company:
- How To Write A Business Plan Whilst planning my visit with my business account manager I mistakenly thought that she would want to see a business plan, and this article helped me greatly with writing one.
- BBC NEWS | Business | How to write a business plan Similar to the above, but with some more information and a few other notes which proved useful whilst writing.
- Finding the Perfect Office Chair: Aeron vs. Swiss Ball vs. the FBI’s Pick… Great article sent to my by Darius Monsef (ColourLovers) discussing office chairs, and what's best for all of who spend more hours at the computer each day than we do away from it.
- The Web Design Business Kit 2.0 I'm a big fan of SitePoint and their writing, and the Web Design Business Kit seems like a serious chunk of startup-help. It's not cheap, ($247) but I'm definitely considering it.
- The Principles Of Successful Freelancing Another SitePoint offering, but this time in the form of smaller book. This is absolutely one that I'm going to pick up (and review here) in the next couple of weeks.
- Project management, collaboration, and task software: Basecamp A predictable one, Basecamp is basically the ultimate in project management software for web designers and something that I will be actively using for Lyrical Media.
- 15 Tips for Freelancers Starting Their Own Business Some great tips from Think Vitamin all about Freelancers starting their own business.
I've received some really great advice, replies, and general friendly chat from people on Twitter over the last few days - so I'm paying them back with some link-love! Check out their sites and follow them all on Twitter.
- Sponge Project @spongeproject
- Duck On Water @duncanmacgregor
- Ryan Roberts @ryanroberts
- Pixel Death @pixeldeath
That's it for this week's links, you can expect many more to come in the future! If you want to be included.. follow me on Twitter!